What's New at Fanac, Inc.
- October 18, 2018
- Three very different fanzine treats today, all scanned by Joe Siclari (and thanks, Joe!). First, for the Poul Anderson fans (and who amongst us is NOT a Poul Anderson fan?), we have Smorgasbord. He never pubbed any other issues of this fanzine, but here in issue 1, you will find poetry (including translations of old Norse poetry), and thoughtful articles. It's a fascinating look at some of the things Poul thought interesting.
- Still on the west coast, we have the 1944 article by T. Bruce Yerke, Memoirs of a Superfluous Fan. This was intended to be in multiple parts, but he only completed part 1 of his life in fandom. If you want another view of what LASFS was like (besides Laney's tirades), check it out.
- The last of the fanzine offerings today comes from 1934-35. We have two issues of Charlie Hornig's fanzine, The Fantasy Fan. This is amongst our oldest fanzines on line, and for me, it's the oldest fanzine we've scanned pubbed by someone I've known. This is the fanzine that got the young fan a job as editor of Wonder Stories. Number 18 is the last issue. Fantasy Fan was produced on a monthly basis for all 18 issues, regular as clockwork. Charlie was a nice guy, even when faced with being talked over by Julie Schwartz.
- For your time travelling convention pleasure, today we have a batch of publications from the 1963 Worldcon, Discon I. Scanned by Mark Olson, you can see the Fan's Guide to Washington, the first 3 progress reports, and a fabulous Convention Annual, chock full of pictures and the occasional snarky comment in the photo key. Photos by the incomparable Jay Kay Klein. It's all to be found here - http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/Discon/w63-pubs.html. Check out the way cool photo of the Stopas on the back cover. Thanks Mark!
- October 16, 2018
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #426 (5.4 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- October 14, 2018
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #424 (4.7 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- October 12, 2018
- We have added the latest issue of the Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society's newsletter The MT Void, MT Void Vol. 37, No. 15, that was sent to us by Mark and Evelyn Leeper. Thank you both
- October 10, 2018
- George Phillies sent us a PDF of John Thiel's latest Ionisphere. This is the Bulletin of the National Fantasy Fan Federation Fan-Pro Coordinating Activity. We also received a PDF of the National Fantasy Fan Federation's latest Tightbeam. Thanks George!
- Today, we also added the October issue of CyberCozen. Thanks Leybl!
- We have updated the Fanac Names Cross Reference. There are currently 26,781 names in these listings.
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #425 (6.7 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. He also sent an updated subject index of all 425 issues. The index is at the top of the page http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Opuntia/. Thanks Dale.
This site is sponsored by the Florida Association for Nucleation And Conventions (F. A. N. A. C.), Inc. which is sponsored by MagiCon, the 1992 World Science Fiction Convention.
Updated October 18, 2018. If you have a comment or question about these Web pages please send a note to the Fanac Webmaster. Thank you.
Copyright © 2018 by F.A.N.A.C. Inc.