What's New at Fanac, Inc.
- February 20, 2019
- We had a very productive weekend at Boskone 56. The FANAC scanning station scanned almost 2000 pages of material. Scanning by Mark Olson and Joe Siclari. History minded fans stopped by and provided material (thanks Geri Sullivan!), and promised more. We have promises of photos, and fanzines and scanning hardware too. The zines scanned at Boskone will be so marked in the index pages of the title, so you can see what we did. The first batch going up are Yandro issues.
- Today in Buck and Juanita Coulson's Yandro we have added 7 1965 issues from 146-152.
- The fanzine section has been organzined since the mid 90s into categories of Classic Fanzines (before 1980), Modern Fanzines (after 1980), and Electronic Zines. Those categories will be changed eventually, but for now we have provided two new ways to find what you're looking for. Thanks to software written by Mark Olson, we now have a Chronological Fanzine Listing, and an Alphabetic Fanzine Listing that cover ALL the zines we have. You can look at a month and see what we have online that was published during that month. As always, we are adding more zines, so the list will change. It's not ALL the zines that were published, but we are getting some good numbers. December 1943 shows 55 listings for instance.
- February 19, 2019
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #436 (6.0 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- We have added the latest issue of the Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society's newsletter The MT Void, MT Void Vol. 37, No. 33, that was sent to us by Mark and Evelyn Leeper. Thank you both
- February 12, 2019
- Back to Shangri L'Affaires. Today, we added issue 74. Scanning by Mark Olson. These are sizable issues; thanks, Mark!
- Today, we uploaded the last 3 issues of Rob Hansen's Epsilon. Actually this was the first 3 issues and completes the run. Scanning by Mark Olson.
- A treat for those thinking of Ireland (and for everyone else as well) - we've uploaded Willis Discovers America, a "pre-trip report" for Walt's 1952 journey in the US. Scanning by Mark Olson. Thanks Mark!
- February 9, 2019
- Back to Shangri L'Affaires. Today, we added issues 71-73. Scanning by Mark Olson. These are sizable issues; thanks, Mark!
- February 8, 2019
- Thanks to Sam McDonald for finding some omissions and inconsistencies in our Retro Hugo materials. What a labor of detail that must have been! Thanks Sam! We are fixing/have fixed them. The Retro Hugo reading list can be found at http://fanac.org/fanzines/Retro_Hugos1943.html.
- Today, we uploaded issue 4 of Austin Hamel's Stellar (1944). Scan by Joe Siclari. If Pavlat Evans is to be believed, this is the last issue. Pavlat Evans is indispensible if you're working with fanzines before 1953. While there are errors, it attempts to list ALL the fanzines published until that time.
- For the music lovers among us, we've added an autographed program from the Disclave 1975 production of The Mimeo Man. Scan by Joe Siclari.
- It's been a while since we posted anything to the list of Irish Fandom related publications. Today, a juicy 40 page addition in John Berry's G.D.A. Casebook 1959. Scanning by Joe Siclari.
- On the newszine front, we have newszine hoaxes (and a couple of Westercon special editions). Check out Starfink 69, a "bi-weekly slander and misinformation fanzine". There's also a (fanzines/Starspinkle/Starspinkle457-01.html hoax issue 49}. The real news (of 1963) are the two Westercon special editions in July. They're listed as such in the Starspinkle index. Scanning by Joe Siclari.
- We also added the February issue of Leybl Botwinik's CyberCozen. Thanks Leybl!
- February 4, 2019
- Today we have added a PDF of Spang Blah, Vol 2, N3 from September 1974. This scan was provided by The Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College through the good offices of librarian Elaine Hooker. Thanks Elaine! And thanks to the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College. The issue also has a note on the last page from jan finder to Wade Center founder Clyde S. Kilby.
- February 3, 2019
- The lastest update on what we've been doing at the Fan History Project has been doing is online at http://www.fanac.org/FANAC_Inc/update0219.pdf. Older updates can be found at http://fanac.org/fanzines/FANAC-Updates/.
- One more Shangri L'Affaires for you. This one (scanned by Mark Olson) is #50 from 1960. It's edited by John Trimble and has a cover by Bjo.
- We also have one more issue of the Whole Fanzine Catalog, edited by Brian Earl Brown. This one (issue 22-25 ) isn't a milestone issue like the #50, but it is a quadruple issue covering 2 years, from 1982-1983. Scanning by Mark Olson.
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #435 (4.4 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- February 2, 2019
- Most of the Shangri L'Affaires on the site have been from the 1940s. Today, thanks to the scanning of Mark Olson, we've uploaded 6 issues from the late 1950s/early 1960s. Shaggy had various editors over its lifetime and the editors for these issues were Al Lewis and John Trimble. The issues we added are 42 and 44-48. For more on Shaggy, see the article in Fancyclopedia at http://fancyclopedia.org/shangri-l-affaires.
- George Phillies sent us a PDF of the February issue of The National Fantasy Fan Federation's Tightbeam, edited by George Phillies and Jon Swartz. This months Tightbeam comes in three parts. Thanks George!
- George also sent us a PDF of John Thiel's latest Ionisphere. This is the Bulletin of the National Fantasy Fan Federation Fan-Pro Coordinating Activity. Thanks George.
- 6 more issues today of Cry of the Nameless. Edited by Wally Weber, and Buz & Elinor Busby, this fabulous zine has contributors like ATom, Terry Carr, Ted White, rich brown, John Berry, Elinor Busby and Buz himself. Today's issues are 115, 169, 171-174, 184. There's also a fake Cry of the Nameless Issue 175 by Wally Weber and Phil Harrell dated "Argh 1964". Scanning by Mark Olson. Thanks Mark!
- January 31, 2019
- 9 more issues today of Cry of the Nameless. Edited by Wally Weber, and Buz & Elinor Busby, this fabulous zine has contributors like ATom, Terry Carr, Ted White, rich brown, John Berry, Elinor Busby and Buz himself. Today's issues are 115, 121, 126, and 162-168. Scanning by Mark Olson. Thanks Mark!
- We've uploaded 15 issues of Rob Hansen's excellent Epsilon. Epsilon ran from the mid70s to the mid80s, and won the Nova Award for Best Fanzine in 1982. Scanning by Mark Olson.
- Today, we added the January issue of Leybl Botwinik's CyberCozen. Thanks Leybl!
- Dale Speirs sent us a PDF of issue #434 (5.5 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
This site is sponsored by the Florida Association for Nucleation And Conventions (F. A. N. A. C.), Inc. which is sponsored by MagiCon, the 1992 World Science Fiction Convention.
Updated February 20, 2019. If you have a comment or question about these Web pages please send a note to the Fanac Webmaster. Thank you.
Copyright © 2019 by F.A.N.A.C. Inc.