What's New at Fanac, Inc.
- May 26, 2018
- Thanks to the scanning of Mark Olson, we have FAPA 23 on line. There are a couple of zines missing from the mailing, so if anyone has it and is willing to scan them for us, that would very welcome. We're working towards having 1943 material on line for the 2019 Retro Hugos. Thanks for the scanning Mark!
- There are photos to brag on today too. Check out the SmofCon 11 photos that Mark scanned. This is the 1994 SmofCon. Hard to believe we're now up to 36.
- May 25, 2018
- We have added the latest issue of the Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society's newsletter The MT Void, Vol. 36, No. 47, that was sent to us by Mark and Evelyn Leeper. Thank you both
- May 24, 2018
- George Phillies sent us a PDFs of May 2018's issue of The National Fantasy Fan Federation's The National Fantasy Fan. Thanks George.
- Dale Speirs sent us PDFs of issues #413 (5.4 MB), #60 (5.2 MB), and #60.1 (5.2 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- May 15, 2018
- Interesting curiosities today, both listed under Fan Artifacts. First, a quote card which started in the 1950s, with signatures of some BNFs like Terry Carr and Lee Hoffman - http://www.fanac.org/Fan_Artifacts/q01-p00.html. Scanning by Joe Siclari.
- Second, a prepublication solicitation by Hugo Gernsback (Hugo Gernsback!) for subscribers to his new magazine - Amazing Stories. Yes, this is a one page mailing (presumably to readers of other magazines) to encourage them to subscribe to a new kind of magazine - one that exclusively offered scientifiction stories. The first issue of Amazing Stories came out in April 1926. Scanning for this by Bill Burns. You can find it at http://www.fanac.org/Fan_Artifacts/a01-p00.html.
- Thanks Joe and Bill! Special thanks to the Merrill Collection for allowing us to photograph the Gernsback material.
- May 14, 2018
- Our thanks to Lee Breakiron for providing the missing pages of Acolyte 11! When you're seeking missing pages for a 1945 fanzine, there are not many folks that can help. But, with Lee's help, now it's online in all its glory. Thanks Lee!
- We've added some of Mark Olson's 1994 Armadillocon photos. There's a great shot of fans engaged in bat-watching, and there's one (somewhat hard to see I fear) shot of the bats themselves. Thanks Mark!
- May 12, 2018
- Some photos and more convention pubs, all thanks to Mark Olson's scanning.
- First, we have 17 photos from Armadillocon 9, 1987. Lots of great dead dog photos here.
- Next, we have a slew of convention publications from Noreascon III. You'll find all the PRs, the souvenir book, the memory book and the ballots. The site selection ballot includes the excruciatingly painful bidder's questionnaire that was given to the Orlando and the DC bids. This later gave rise to the 'tar and feather' ceremony for the originator of the questionnaire at MagiCon. As you all may know, Mark Olson was the chair of Noreascon III.
- May 11, 2018
- We've added issues 19 and 20 of Linda Bushyager's Granfalloon to the site. Scanning is courtesy of Mark Olson. Thanks Mark!
- May 10, 2018
- Working some of the scanned materials backlog, and today we have a slew of interesting materials from the 1962 worldcon, Chicon III. You can find a list of the publications at http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/Chicon/w62-pubs.html and it includes such interesting items as the photo filled convention annual, put together by Jay Kay Klein, the Progress Reports, several of which have articles about Theodore Sturgeon, and the invitation to a special reception for Walt and Madeline Willis. Great stuff. Scanning courtesy of Mark Olson. Thanks Mark!
- May 8, 2018
- Added the April and May issues of Leybl Botwinik's CyberCozen. Thanks Leybl!
- We have updated the Fanac Names Cross Reference. There are currently 26,412 names in these listings.
- Dale Speirs sent us PDFs of issues #412 (1.6 MB), #58.1 (5.3 MB), #58.3 (4.8 MB), and #58.5 (5.3 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- May 1, 2018
- We've added 18 photos from the collection of Edie Stern and Joe Siclari, from 1979 to 1983. Most of these are of the South Florida fan group, with a few from Disclave and Lunacon in 1979. We were very young, all of us. You can see the Florida photos at here and here. For the Disclave and Lunacon photos, look under those conventions on http://www.fanac.org/Other_Cons/. Joe, thanks for scanning and identifying everyone!
- April 28, 2018
- We've uploaded another Worldcon recording to Youtube today. Thanks to SCIFI, we have the Hugo and special tributes presentation at the 1984 Worldcon, LAcon II. From the Youtube writeup - "Toastmaster Robert Bloch's introductory remarks are tantamount to standup comedy, and the video also includes several special and moving tributes along with the Hugos. The first tribute is presented by Robert Silverberg and Harlan Ellison to fan and editor Larry Shaw (who died within the next year) and the second to Robert Bloch himself. There's also some fun with Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle on stage having to do with a rocket shaped object." You can find it at https://youtu.be/bUBL5jOSVok
- Dale Speirs sent us PDFs of issues #411 (7.6 MB), #57 (2.6 MB), and #58 (5.1 MB) of his perzine Opuntia. Thanks Dale.
- April 27, 2018
- George Phillies sent us a PDF of the latest issue of The National Fantasy Fan Federation's Tightbeam, edited by Bob Jennings. Thanks George!
This site is sponsored by the Florida Association for Nucleation And Conventions (F. A. N. A. C.), Inc. which is sponsored by MagiCon, the 1992 World Science Fiction Convention.
Updated May 26, 2018. If you have a comment or question about these Web pages please send a note to the Fanac Webmaster. Thank you.
Copyright © 2018 by F.A.N.A.C. Inc.