TAFF - pg 12

Ted Carnell writes:

   FORD'S FAMOUS FIRSTS: Don's first experience with London's famous
red double becker buses came on his arrival from London Airport late on
arrival day. Arriving at our local railway station around 11:l5 pm we
just managed to get on a packed bus filled with cinema-goers. There was
only room inside, and this for standing purposes. As the height of the
compartment was only 5' 10" (conductors have to be under this to qual-
ify for the job) Ford's 6' 6'1 was something of a packing job.

   He eventually managed to fold hid head down and rest his shoulder
blades on the ceiling by which time everyone on the lower deck was
sympathetic and one dear lady was attempting to get up and give him
her seat (only she was wedged into an inside berth). As the conductor
fought his way through the press of bodies to collect the fares he
eventually came upon an immovable object -- Ford; by the time he had
managed to by-pass Don the bus was almost at the terminus and there
was one vacant seat, right behind the drivers cabin.

   Inviting Don to sit down so that he could complete collecting the
fares the conductor then found that Don's knees were so long that he
had become wedged between the driver's partition and the back of his
seat. We practically had to pry him out of the bus when we reached our
stop. Parting Comment from the conductor as we alighted -- "Let's know
when you're coming again mate, and we'll build a special bus for you."
                                     Ted Carnell.

   In the morning after breakfast, I telephoned Ken & Pamela Bulmer,
Norman Ashfield, and Mr. Williams. I chatted with Ken & Pamela and
made arrangements for Ken to meet me at Ted's office. Monday, and for
me to stay with the Bulmers Monday night. Norman was home and said he'd
be over, shortly, to take me to his house to stay tonight. Mr. Williams
was the Works Manager at Pyrene Ltd. where I was going to visit on Tues.

   Later on Norman arrived and we rode the bus over to his house at
Sidcup, not too far from Ted's place in Plumstead. I met his wife,
Molly, and step-daughter Janet. Janet and my daughter, Terry Anne,
have been corresponding for some time now. Their ages being about the
same, with Janet about six months older.

   Norman and I have been corresponding since 1948 or so and this was
our first meeting in all those years. We had much to talk about. All
of us talked away until quite late in the evening. I took photos of the
Airfields and set up the camera so Janet could take a photo of Norman
and I together. They wanted to know about life In America and I told
them that I could and how our family lived, etc. The fact that our
drinking water is collected off the roof & stored in a cistern under-
neath the kitchen seemed to strike them as odd. In fact, it seemed
to startle all to whom I mentioned it. Water under pressure is avail-
able over practically all of England. We compared the costs of elect-
ricity, food, cars and everything we could think of. Norman said his
electric bill was around $4.00 for three months. I'd just paid ours
before I left home and at was $17.50 for l month. The discussion
ranged far and wide that evening and I certainly had a pleasant stay.
Janet was going to take some office training and then would be going
to go to work. She seemed so young by our standards to be getting out