IN MY OPINION
The listing which follows is a continuing feature of the Rhodomagnetic Digest. The books mentioned are part of the personal collection of J. Lloyd Eaton, first chairman of the Society. It is one of the largest and most comprehensive collections of fantasy and science fiction in the world. For more information see Volume I, number 2 or 6 of the Digest.
by J. Lloyd Eaton
Stories are rated as follows:
*** Good to excellent.
** Fair to good.
X When included in the rating may be considered an additional * by those who enjoy cerebral stimuli. It may also serve as a warning to those who want an evening of light reading.
* A fantastic, but not good escape reading; for collectors and students only. Read at your own peril!
- Not fantastics; masqueraders, religious, occult, economic treatises, thinly disguised as fantasy; too poorly written even for the collector.
() Not fantastics; marginal.
C Not in the Checklist.
s Short story collections. Total number of stories given, with each fantastic listed and described.
Carling, John R.
(**) The Viking's Skull. Little, Brown; Bos., '04 - Fair mystery story of murder and treasure. One passage of clairvoyance. Not a true fantastic.
* The Weird Picture. Little, Brown; Bos.; '05 - Horror.
C- The Doomed City. Clode; N.Y.; '10.
* The Scattering and the Aurdlian. - Fantasy.
- The Writer and the Prince.
- Solomon's Seal.
- The Widow's Clock.
* Above Proof. - Fantasy.
- Dona Pollonia's Corset.
* The Lady Killer. - Ghost.
- A Doll and a Moral.
- A Jay of Italy. Methuen; Lon.; '05 - Not fantastic.
(**) The Lake of Wine. Hunemann; Lon.; 1898 - Good adv.; Not fantastic.
- Our Lady of Darkness. Blackwood & Sons; Lon.; 1899 - Not fantastic.
Cs Loaves and Fishes. Collins; Lon. & Glasgow; N.D. - Shorts (21).(**) A Gallows Bird. - Quite a villain!
* A Ghost-Child.
* The Ghost Luck.
* Poor Lucy Rivers. - Ghost writing.
* The Jade Button. - Longevity & luck.
Carr, John Dickson
*** The Burning Court. Harpers; N.Y.; '37 - Witchcraft.Carr, Robert Spencer
C*** The Devil in Velvet. Harpers; N.Y.; '51 - Devil sends back to 17th century England to solve a murder mystery.
Cs Beyond Infinity. Fantasy Press; Reading; '51 - Novelettes (14).Carrington, Hereward* Beyond Infinity. - Space travel; "fountain of youth."
** Morning Star. - Visitor.
** Those Men From Mars. - change things.
** Mutation. - Better, in the past.
Cx True Ghost Stories. Ogilvie; N.Y.; '15.Carruth, Hayden
Cx The Invisible World. Rider; Lon.; N.D.. - Scientific researches in psychic phenomena.
s The King in Yellow. Harper; N.Y.; '02 - Shorts (9).*** The Repainter of Reputations. - Horror-future 1920-mad.
*** The Mask. - Sci-fict. to marble?
*** The Yellow Sign. - Horror, something alive?
*** The Demoiselle d'Yo. - Time slips.
Data entry and page scans provided by Judy Bemis
Data entry by Judy Bemis
Updated June 28, 2015. If you have a comment about these web pages please send a note to the Fanac Webmaster. Thank you.