of help at the table from Terry, Chris, Claudia and Alice Sanvito, so sitting behind
the table was more of a little party than a shopkeeping operation.

I suppose the nicest thing about any convention is being able to see your friends
again.  Luckily, most of the people I saw were content with asking me if I liked my
trip to Australia, since I hadn't gotten my impressions of the trip sorted out enough
to talk about it very much.  However, I was very happy to receive a kangaroo block
commemorating my trip to Australia, which was presented to me by Minneapolis fandom.
That, and the illustration Ken Fletcher did of his conception of my trip were the
perfect  things to add to my collection of Australian souvenirs.

I also went to several parties at the con.  I think the room parties are still some-
thing that American fans do best. Certainly the Australians who attended the LAcon
did a great job of giving bidding parties. Everytime I went to one they were showing
the A in '75 movie and I had to be dragged but of the room by Hank when I began
commenting too loudly on "I saw that, it's really the _____"or  "That's _____!".
But the most memorable party of the convention was one held in Don Fitch's room. It
started out rather slowly as good parties often do, but things livened up with the
arrival of ghod (who was going by the nacre of Elmer Purdue that night) and I ended up
spending almost the entire night in a little corner at that party, listening to some
very fascinating conversations

XI Waking

That party was on Sunday night,and I only got a few hours sleep afterwards, since I had
to get up to catch a plane the next morning. School had already started at the Uni-
versity of Wisconsin in Madison, and I had to fly there, instead of riding back with
Hank, so that I wouldn't miss any more classes than necessary. As I was flying back
across the country, I began counting up just how many airports I had been in during
the last month. I had been in a dozen different airports before I got to Madison
(several of than more than once) and  had spent more time in airplanes than I care to
think about.  But I suppose that was to be expected since I went about 5000 miles out
of my way when making the move from Missouri to Wisconsin.

I spent my first night in Madison in a motel, since I wouldn't be able to get into our
new apartment until the next day.  When I did get in, I found that there was no furn-
iture, except a cot that Hank had left for me.  That, along with a radio, a few dishes,
and the luggage that had gone with me half way around the world were all I had to get
by for a week until Hank arrived with the truck full of our stuff. I never did find
out exactly what he did with it all while he was in California. When we did get moved
in, it seemed odd to be finally sleeping in my own bed, after a month of constant
moving around.  Being back in school, seeing the leaves begin to turn as fall arrived,
looking up in the sky without seeing the Southern Cross, all made me almost believe that
I had dreamed the whole thing -- that I had never actually been in Australia.  But I
must trave gone, or how could I now have all those friends and all these memories of
down under?